I have been a resident at The Barrington for several years and I am a widow. I am happy here; never lonely, very safe, with friends and a caring staff.
What your loved ones really want for the Holidays! Back
Do you struggle with what gift to give your older parents or older loved ones? What could they possibly want? It seems like a hard question but research shows that older people seem to want the same thing. Here are some gift ideas that will make you the best gift giver ever!
Get ready for the first one. It is special and you are going to wonder why you haven’t thought of it yourself.
- YOU… Yes, you read that correctly. Best gift ever to an older person is time spent with you. People hit a certain age where the realization that their time here is limited and their priorities shift. They want you to visit and spend time with them. They don’t want to go out and do crazy and new things – they enjoy doing the familiar but with you there by their side.
- Your family… Your family is very important to your loved ones and spending time with them brings much pleasure and a sense of peace to them. Once again as people become more settled the every day experiences become central to a sense of self and they love sharing that with you and your family. Stories of what is going on in your children’s lives and sharing stories about their lives are much more valuable than a tie or sweater.
So, what if you can’t take a trip just now. What if your loved one lives far from you? Don’t worry here are some other ideas.
- Storybook photo albums of all the events your children are participating in are a great way to make them feel close to you. Set it up chronologically so that they can feel like they are right there watching their grandchildren playing baseball, performing in their dance recitals or singing at the PTA meeting.
- If your loved one is technically savvy and has access to the Internet, create a video of #3 if you don’t want to print off the photos and create the photo album. You can send pictures through email or a social media avenue.
- Grandparents, Aunties and Uncles love hugs from the babies in the family! Have your child lie down on a roll of butcher paper with their arms stretched out (their head and arms are the only part of their body that need to be on the paper). With a pencil, outline their head and outstretched arms and hands. You can draw, paint or color the paper, roll it and mail them a hug from their baby loved ones!
- If your older loved ones have phones in their homes or apartment, buy them a Memory Picture phone. You can pre-program important phone numbers such as you and your siblings and use your pictures to help them remember how to reach you.
- Grandparents never get tired of seeing their grandbabies pictures. You can turn a glass ornament into a wonderful gift using pictures of their grandchildren or anyone that puts a smile on their face into the ornament.
- WARNING: INEXPENSIVE but amazing and thoughtful gift: Buy white plates from the Dollar Store. With a Sharpie, write a story or a note to your loved one. Bake for 30 minutes in the 150 oven. The result is a plate that has a special note or story of love that you made just for them and it will be a permanent treasure!
- A customized calendar for them with pictures full of fun memories they have and new ones being created. On the calendar, place all the birthdays that will mean something to your loved ones. (They don’t need the guilt of forgetting an important ones special day). Mark the days that you will be able to see them!
- YOU… Wait, you already read that, didn’t you? Pick up the phone often. Call to say hello. Calling for no reason is a very sweet thing to do and means so much to them. There is nothing like knowing that an important person in your life is thinking of you.
Happy Gift Giving!!
The first time I walked into the Barrington I had a very warm feeling. The entire staff is very caring and helpful. I enjoy all the activities and social events that we have. I really enjoy the food; our chef does a great job. I feel that there is something for everyone here to in enjoy here at The Barrington. I have made some wonderful friends with the residents and staff. The Barrington is a great place to live.
I came to the Barrington in 2009; this place saved my life. The room my daughter picked out for me overlooks the school and the children who go there. The trees and the surrounding grounds are beautiful. I love to walk outdoors and meditate. I also enjoy our trips to the beaches and parks. I am on the welcoming committee, serve at happy hour, and I go with the Marketing Team to do outreach. This is my home and the staff is my family.
The Barrington in Largo, FL, was recommended to us by A Place for Mom as an option for my parents. My wife and I visited The Barrington for a tour. We were greeted by Sherrie (Regional Supervisor, Tarantino Properties) for our visit. Sherrie was extremely knowledgeable & professional; a great representative for The Barrington. We also met Linda (Nurse Administrator) in order to describe the care needs required for my father. Linda was very understanding of my Dad’s needs and took the time to formulate a care plan for my father. Linda was extremely helpful with a great sense of ...Show More
I love it here. This place is just like next to heaven. It's as close as you can get.
I love it! Katie and Amber are so helpful and keep me involved. Everyone is so kind here. I love bingo. We have such sweet, sweet people working here. The food is outstanding too!
I love it here. Katie and Amber are the reason I love it here. You both are exactly why I love every day here.
There are just so many activities here that it's hard to choose what to do. I love the poker on Thursday nights. It's been an easy transition for me.
The people that work here are really nice and attentive. I like playing Scrabble and staying busy. Our walking club is really fun. I love being outside. Our walkway around the building is so nice. I always like when they come in and help me get ready for my day in the morning. The Parkinson's program is so nice to get my day started too.
I like the activities here. That's my favorite part. We painted bird houses and now they're in the courtyard. I love the entertainment here. The music is from the right era! I am really happy.