I have been a resident at The Barrington for several years and I am a widow. I am happy here; never lonely, very safe, with friends and a caring staff.
Prevent Catching a Cold Back
The weather is getting cooler and it’s getting dark earlier in the day. That means that cold and flu season is right around the corner. These are some simple ways and easy reminders that will prevent you from catching a cold or the flu.
- Wash or sanitize your hands often. Washing or sanitizing your hands frequently will kill any germs you have picked up from touching objects or coming in contact with other people.
- Refrain from touching your face. It is easy to pick up germs on your hands by touching objects or people like mentioned above. Touching your face with unclean hands will increase your chance of getting sick dramatically. If you need to touch your face for any reason, be sure to clean your hands before you do so.
- Get plenty of rest. Getting a good night of sleep will have your body fighting potential illnesses at full strength.
- Place a bottle of hand sanitizer in your living room or bedside table. Having it handy will make a big difference because it will make cleaning your hands easy if you do not have easy access to a bathroom. Bottles of hand sanitizer are usually affordable and can save you a trip to the doctor.
- Do not eat or drink after others, especially if they are sick or feeling under the weather.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough. That way you can prevent spreading germs to others and hopefully others will do the same for you.
- Good diet and exercise. This goes hand in hand with getting a good night’s sleep. Healthy habits will keep your immune system running strong and will put up the best defense when fighting off germs that can make you sick.
- Get a flu shot. Getting your yearly flu shot will help to prevent you from getting the flu. The shots are quick and painless and will help a great deal during flu season.
If you begin running a fever, be sure to schedule an appointment to see your doctor.
The first time I walked into the Barrington I had a very warm feeling. The entire staff is very caring and helpful. I enjoy all the activities and social events that we have. I really enjoy the food; our chef does a great job. I feel that there is something for everyone here to in enjoy here at The Barrington. I have made some wonderful friends with the residents and staff. The Barrington is a great place to live.
I came to the Barrington in 2009; this place saved my life. The room my daughter picked out for me overlooks the school and the children who go there. The trees and the surrounding grounds are beautiful. I love to walk outdoors and meditate. I also enjoy our trips to the beaches and parks. I am on the welcoming committee, serve at happy hour, and I go with the Marketing Team to do outreach. This is my home and the staff is my family.
The Barrington in Largo, FL, was recommended to us by A Place for Mom as an option for my parents. My wife and I visited The Barrington for a tour. We were greeted by Sherrie (Regional Supervisor, Tarantino Properties) for our visit. Sherrie was extremely knowledgeable & professional; a great representative for The Barrington. We also met Linda (Nurse Administrator) in order to describe the care needs required for my father. Linda was very understanding of my Dad’s needs and took the time to formulate a care plan for my father. Linda was extremely helpful with a great sense of humor. From the start, we were comfortable with The Barrington. The residents were happy, friendly and outgoing; we even spoke with a couple of them. We were provided with an overview of the facility (both assisted living & independent living) and walked the property. From the front desk staff to the caregivers, all personnel were professional, caring and friendly. Unlike the numerous other ALFs we visited in the Tampa, FL, area, The Barrington offers 1 bedroom apartments; not studios. This makes your “home” feel like HOME not just one room with a bathroom. The units even have small kitchens and screened covered lianas (porches). Very nice touch! The Barrington was very clean; very important to us and my parents. We knew from the time we walked in to The Barrington, this was the place for Mom & Dad. As a result, we scheduled a second visit for my parents to visit the property. My parents were pleasantly surprised with the beauty of the property; large facility surrounded by huge oak trees and even a swimming pool! If you have a vehicle, covered parking is provided; what a bonus. Again, we were greeted by Sherrie; she took the time to show my parents the grounds and treated us all to lunch. …..and a great lunch too! We met the chef and the food was really good. Our server, Jolene, was very personable and even though she did not know my parents, she joked with them and made them feel right at home. The Barrington has a Nurse Practitioner on site as well as a contractor providing on site physical therapy. My wife and I met all healthcare professionals and were pleased with all. How convenient; healthcare professionals on site and you don’t even have to get in the car to go anywhere. The Barrington has complimentary van service that meets everyone’s needs. In conclusion, The Barrington was the place we all decided would be “home” for Mom & Dad. My parents have been residents at The Barrington for about 1 month now and all is good. They have told me the residents are friendly and they like the staff. They have bragged how good the food is….very healthy options and if you don’t like healthy, then you can order a grilled cheese, hamburger or hot dog with onion rings. :o) Of course my parents are going through an adjustment but the staff at The Barrington have made Mom & Dad feel right at home. Since moving in, The Barrington continues to impress. On July 4, they had a cookout for the residents. They have happy hour one evening a week…..even took the residents to a local park for a picnic; also took the residents out for free slushy day offered by the 7-11 store. There is complimentary Wi-Fi offered in the lobby and basic cable tv (BrightHouse) is provided free of charge in each residents room. Bottom line – Mom & Dad’s home cannot be replaced but The Barrington is the next best thing.
I love it here. This place is just like next to heaven. It's as close as you can get.
I love it! Katie and Amber are so helpful and keep me involved. Everyone is so kind here. I love bingo. We have such sweet, sweet people working here. The food is outstanding too!
I love it here. Katie and Amber are the reason I love it here. You both are exactly why I love every day here.
There are just so many activities here that it's hard to choose what to do. I love the poker on Thursday nights. It's been an easy transition for me.
The people that work here are really nice and attentive. I like playing Scrabble and staying busy. Our walking club is really fun. I love being outside. Our walkway around the building is so nice. I always like when they come in and help me get ready for my day in the morning. The Parkinson's program is so nice to get my day started too.
I like the activities here. That's my favorite part. We painted bird houses and now they're in the courtyard. I love the entertainment here. The music is from the right era! I am really happy.