I have been a resident at The Barrington for several years and I am a widow. I am happy here; never lonely, very safe, with friends and a caring staff.
Can You Help Your Own Hearing? Back
Hearing loss is a scary and frustrating thing that happens to many adults over time. Have you noticed yourself asking people to repeat themselves? Have you had to use the remote control to turn the volume UP because you just can't hear it? Do you think that there is nothing you can do about hearing loss?
There are tips to preventative measures you can take to prevent noise-induced hearing loss and also to keep your hearing loss from getting worse.
Let's begin by understanding what NOISE is. Noise is loud sounds that over time can damage the hair cells in your ears. Hair cells in your ears? Yes, we all have tiny hair cells in our inner ears that slowly break down and can't pick up sound vibrations as well as they did when we were younger. Noise can be from concerts you went to, playing loud music in your headphones, loud events, motorcycles, loud tools and so forth. We can not go back to undo those fun times however, there are ways to improve your hearing now.
- The Test Will Tell You - A hearing test will let you know if there is a problem and how severe it is. Ask yourself the questions above and think of your relatives. If close relatives have hearing loss, you may be at a higher risk than others. Your doctor will help you but they will only be able to do that if you make an appointment and go in.
- Say NO to Loud Noise Now - If you can't hear someone else speaking to you because the noise around you is too high, you must turn it down or remove yourself from that area. You shouldn't have to shout as that is a sure sign that it's too noisy.
- Shop for QUIET - When you are purchasing home appliances, check for the noise ratings. If you are in a loud environment and can not leave, see if the management at the facility can help by lowering the TV, music, etc.
- Protect Yourself - It may not be as stylish as you like but it's always better to be safe than sorry! Wearing earplugs or earmuffs if you are going to be exposed to loud sounds for over two minutes.
- Smoking Hurts - Research shows that smoking effects hearing loss. Don't do it. This is a great reason to add to the list of why you should stop smoking now!
- Earwax - It is amazing how much wax can build up in your ear canal which will cause sounds to be muffled. The relief you will feel after using an at-home irrigation kit will be worth the time. If it is too compacted, your doctor can remove it for you.
- Check Your Meds - There are medications that you may be taking for other issues that could harm your hearing. Check with your doctor to ensure that the medications they have prescribed for you won't interfere with your hearing now or down the road.
You must be your own biggest advocate in this world so make sure you follow the tips and enjoy hearing the beauties that abound you!
The first time I walked into the Barrington I had a very warm feeling. The entire staff is very caring and helpful. I enjoy all the activities and social events that we have. I really enjoy the food; our chef does a great job. I feel that there is something for everyone here to in enjoy here at The Barrington. I have made some wonderful friends with the residents and staff. The Barrington is a great place to live.
I came to the Barrington in 2009; this place saved my life. The room my daughter picked out for me overlooks the school and the children who go there. The trees and the surrounding grounds are beautiful. I love to walk outdoors and meditate. I also enjoy our trips to the beaches and parks. I am on the welcoming committee, serve at happy hour, and I go with the Marketing Team to do outreach. This is my home and the staff is my family.
The Barrington in Largo, FL, was recommended to us by A Place for Mom as an option for my parents. My wife and I visited The Barrington for a tour. We were greeted by Sherrie (Regional Supervisor, Tarantino Properties) for our visit. Sherrie was extremely knowledgeable & professional; a great representative for The Barrington. We also met Linda (Nurse Administrator) in order to describe the care needs required for my father. Linda was very understanding of my Dad’s needs and took the time to formulate a care plan for my father. Linda was extremely helpful with a great sense of ...Show More
I love it here. This place is just like next to heaven. It's as close as you can get.
I love it! Katie and Amber are so helpful and keep me involved. Everyone is so kind here. I love bingo. We have such sweet, sweet people working here. The food is outstanding too!
I love it here. Katie and Amber are the reason I love it here. You both are exactly why I love every day here.
There are just so many activities here that it's hard to choose what to do. I love the poker on Thursday nights. It's been an easy transition for me.
The people that work here are really nice and attentive. I like playing Scrabble and staying busy. Our walking club is really fun. I love being outside. Our walkway around the building is so nice. I always like when they come in and help me get ready for my day in the morning. The Parkinson's program is so nice to get my day started too.
I like the activities here. That's my favorite part. We painted bird houses and now they're in the courtyard. I love the entertainment here. The music is from the right era! I am really happy.