I have been a resident at The Barrington for several years and I am a widow. I am happy here; never lonely, very safe, with friends and a caring staff.
Can You Help Your Own Hearing? Back
Hearing loss is a scary and frustrating thing that happens to many adults over time. Have you noticed yourself asking people to repeat themselves? Have you had to use the remote control to turn the volume UP because you just can't hear it? Do you think that there is nothing you can do about hearing loss?
There are tips to preventative measures you can take to prevent noise-induced hearing loss and also to keep your hearing loss from getting worse.
Let's begin by understanding what NOISE is. Noise is loud sounds that over time can damage the hair cells in your ears. Hair cells in your ears? Yes, we all have tiny hair cells in our inner ears that slowly break down and can't pick up sound vibrations as well as they did when we were younger. Noise can be from concerts you went to, playing loud music in your headphones, loud events, motorcycles, loud tools and so forth. We can not go back to undo those fun times however, there are ways to improve your hearing now.
- The Test Will Tell You - A hearing test will let you know if there is a problem and how severe it is. Ask yourself the questions above and think of your relatives. If close relatives have hearing loss, you may be at a higher risk than others. Your doctor will help you but they will only be able to do that if you make an appointment and go in.
- Say NO to Loud Noise Now - If you can't hear someone else speaking to you because the noise around you is too high, you must turn it down or remove yourself from that area. You shouldn't have to shout as that is a sure sign that it's too noisy.
- Shop for QUIET - When you are purchasing home appliances, check for the noise ratings. If you are in a loud environment and can not leave, see if the management at the facility can help by lowering the TV, music, etc.
- Protect Yourself - It may not be as stylish as you like but it's always better to be safe than sorry! Wearing earplugs or earmuffs if you are going to be exposed to loud sounds for over two minutes.
- Smoking Hurts - Research shows that smoking effects hearing loss. Don't do it. This is a great reason to add to the list of why you should stop smoking now!
- Earwax - It is amazing how much wax can build up in your ear canal which will cause sounds to be muffled. The relief you will feel after using an at-home irrigation kit will be worth the time. If it is too compacted, your doctor can remove it for you.
- Check Your Meds - There are medications that you may be taking for other issues that could harm your hearing. Check with your doctor to ensure that the medications they have prescribed for you won't interfere with your hearing now or down the road.
You must be your own biggest advocate in this world so make sure you follow the tips and enjoy hearing the beauties that abound you!
The first time I walked into the Barrington I had a very warm feeling. The entire staff is very caring and helpful. I enjoy all the activities and social events that we have. I really enjoy the food; our chef does a great job. I feel that there is something for everyone here to in enjoy here at The Barrington. I have made some wonderful friends with the residents and staff. The Barrington is a great place to live.
I came to the Barrington in 2009; this place saved my life. The room my daughter picked out for me overlooks the school and the children who go there. The trees and the surrounding grounds are beautiful. I love to walk outdoors and meditate. I also enjoy our trips to the beaches and parks. I am on the welcoming committee, serve at happy hour, and I go with the Marketing Team to do outreach. This is my home and the staff is my family.
The Barrington in Largo, FL, was recommended to us by A Place for Mom as an option for my parents. My wife and I visited The Barrington for a tour. We were greeted by Sherrie (Regional Supervisor, Tarantino Properties) for our visit. Sherrie was extremely knowledgeable & professional; a great representative for The Barrington. We also met Linda (Nurse Administrator) in order to describe the care needs required for my father. Linda was very understanding of my Dad’s needs and took the time to formulate a care plan for my father. Linda was extremely helpful with a great sense of humor. From the start, we were comfortable with The Barrington. The residents were happy, friendly and outgoing; we even spoke with a couple of them. We were provided with an overview of the facility (both assisted living & independent living) and walked the property. From the front desk staff to the caregivers, all personnel were professional, caring and friendly. Unlike the numerous other ALFs we visited in the Tampa, FL, area, The Barrington offers 1 bedroom apartments; not studios. This makes your “home” feel like HOME not just one room with a bathroom. The units even have small kitchens and screened covered lianas (porches). Very nice touch! The Barrington was very clean; very important to us and my parents. We knew from the time we walked in to The Barrington, this was the place for Mom & Dad. As a result, we scheduled a second visit for my parents to visit the property. My parents were pleasantly surprised with the beauty of the property; large facility surrounded by huge oak trees and even a swimming pool! If you have a vehicle, covered parking is provided; what a bonus. Again, we were greeted by Sherrie; she took the time to show my parents the grounds and treated us all to lunch. …..and a great lunch too! We met the chef and the food was really good. Our server, Jolene, was very personable and even though she did not know my parents, she joked with them and made them feel right at home. The Barrington has a Nurse Practitioner on site as well as a contractor providing on site physical therapy. My wife and I met all healthcare professionals and were pleased with all. How convenient; healthcare professionals on site and you don’t even have to get in the car to go anywhere. The Barrington has complimentary van service that meets everyone’s needs. In conclusion, The Barrington was the place we all decided would be “home” for Mom & Dad. My parents have been residents at The Barrington for about 1 month now and all is good. They have told me the residents are friendly and they like the staff. They have bragged how good the food is….very healthy options and if you don’t like healthy, then you can order a grilled cheese, hamburger or hot dog with onion rings. :o) Of course my parents are going through an adjustment but the staff at The Barrington have made Mom & Dad feel right at home. Since moving in, The Barrington continues to impress. On July 4, they had a cookout for the residents. They have happy hour one evening a week…..even took the residents to a local park for a picnic; also took the residents out for free slushy day offered by the 7-11 store. There is complimentary Wi-Fi offered in the lobby and basic cable tv (BrightHouse) is provided free of charge in each residents room. Bottom line – Mom & Dad’s home cannot be replaced but The Barrington is the next best thing.
I love it here. This place is just like next to heaven. It's as close as you can get.
I love it! Katie and Amber are so helpful and keep me involved. Everyone is so kind here. I love bingo. We have such sweet, sweet people working here. The food is outstanding too!
I love it here. Katie and Amber are the reason I love it here. You both are exactly why I love every day here.
There are just so many activities here that it's hard to choose what to do. I love the poker on Thursday nights. It's been an easy transition for me.
The people that work here are really nice and attentive. I like playing Scrabble and staying busy. Our walking club is really fun. I love being outside. Our walkway around the building is so nice. I always like when they come in and help me get ready for my day in the morning. The Parkinson's program is so nice to get my day started too.
I like the activities here. That's my favorite part. We painted bird houses and now they're in the courtyard. I love the entertainment here. The music is from the right era! I am really happy.