I have been a resident at The Barrington for several years and I am a widow. I am happy here; never lonely, very safe, with friends and a caring staff.
Beat the Winter Blues Back
It is easy to feel blue during the wintertime. SAD, or seasonal affective disorder may be to blame. It affects us during the late fall and early winter months because there is less sunshine due to the weather and the time change. Not only is there less sunshine, the temperature is also colder, often making it uncomfortable to spend long periods of time outside. Here are a few ways to combat the winter blues in time for the holidays.
· A great way to beat the winter blues is to spend time with friends and family. Whether in person, over the phone or Skype, taking the time to visit with the people you love will always leave you in a better mood.
· The holidays are the perfect time to help fight the winter blues. Enjoy a delicious cup of hot chocolate, bake or decorate Christmas cookies, attend a holiday party, or go on a trip to view Christmas lights. There are many great holiday ideas that will put a smile on your face.
· Enjoy the sunshine when you can. Bundle up if it is cold and go for a walk outside when the sun is out. Spending time outdoors and getting fresh air will help to rejuvenate you and is sure to enhance your mood. Be sure to limit your time outside if it is very cold outside to avoid getting sick.
· Do something creative. Spend some of your time working on a fun craft project like ornaments, wreaths, or go even further and learn to knit a blanket. A fun project will take your mind off feeling sad and will channel your thoughts to the craft you are working on.
· Enjoy some of your favorites. When you are feeling down, revisiting some of your favorites can be an easy way to lift your spirits. Watch a favorite movie or listen to music you enjoy. It can be Christmas themed and festive or otherwise.
· Attend a church service.
· Most importantly, take time for yourself. Spend time doing the things you love, but also take the time to relax. The holidays can get stressful and busy, so using your spare time to unwind is a great idea. Also take the time to take care of yourself. It is easy to feel down when are aren’t 100%. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising a few times a week. The exercise is especially important if you plan on indulging in holiday treats or drinks.
It is important to make an appointment to see your doctor if you are struggling with depression or if your seasonal affective disorder extends past the winter months.
We hope you have a wonderful holiday season!
The first time I walked into the Barrington I had a very warm feeling. The entire staff is very caring and helpful. I enjoy all the activities and social events that we have. I really enjoy the food; our chef does a great job. I feel that there is something for everyone here to in enjoy here at The Barrington. I have made some wonderful friends with the residents and staff. The Barrington is a great place to live.
I came to the Barrington in 2009; this place saved my life. The room my daughter picked out for me overlooks the school and the children who go there. The trees and the surrounding grounds are beautiful. I love to walk outdoors and meditate. I also enjoy our trips to the beaches and parks. I am on the welcoming committee, serve at happy hour, and I go with the Marketing Team to do outreach. This is my home and the staff is my family.
The Barrington in Largo, FL, was recommended to us by A Place for Mom as an option for my parents. My wife and I visited The Barrington for a tour. We were greeted by Sherrie (Regional Supervisor, Tarantino Properties) for our visit. Sherrie was extremely knowledgeable & professional; a great representative for The Barrington. We also met Linda (Nurse Administrator) in order to describe the care needs required for my father. Linda was very understanding of my Dad’s needs and took the time to formulate a care plan for my father. Linda was extremely helpful with a great sense of ...Show More
I love it here. This place is just like next to heaven. It's as close as you can get.
I love it! Katie and Amber are so helpful and keep me involved. Everyone is so kind here. I love bingo. We have such sweet, sweet people working here. The food is outstanding too!
I love it here. Katie and Amber are the reason I love it here. You both are exactly why I love every day here.
There are just so many activities here that it's hard to choose what to do. I love the poker on Thursday nights. It's been an easy transition for me.
The people that work here are really nice and attentive. I like playing Scrabble and staying busy. Our walking club is really fun. I love being outside. Our walkway around the building is so nice. I always like when they come in and help me get ready for my day in the morning. The Parkinson's program is so nice to get my day started too.
I like the activities here. That's my favorite part. We painted bird houses and now they're in the courtyard. I love the entertainment here. The music is from the right era! I am really happy.