The people that work here are really nice and attentive. I like playing Scrabble and staying busy. Our walking club is really fun. I love being outside. Our walkway around the building is so nice. I always like when they come in and help me get ready for my day in the morning. The Parkinson's program is so nice to get my day started too.
Assisted Living Check List Back
You have been through so much to get to the point that you are looking for an Assisted Living community for your loved one or for yourself. Choosing the right one is a feat in itself. Here is a checklist for you so that your decision is informed and you feel confident while searching.
- How many residents live in the community?
- Are there private rooms/houses/apartments?
- Are the apartments furnished with a kitchen?
- What sizes of apartments/homes do they offer?
- Are additional services available if the resident’s needs change over time?
- Will residents be able to utilize their same health care providers?
- How does the billing work?
Once you are comfortable with these answers, you can choose the ones you would like to go visit in person.
- What was your first impression?
- Did you feel safe there?
- Is the community clean and organized?
- Did the residents seem happy there?
- Are the stair and walkways well lit?
- Did the staff seem helpful to the residents?
- Were handrails installed?
- Are there safety locks on the windows?
- Is the floor plan easy to follow?
- Are the rooms or apartments large enough?
- Are there common areas for residents such as:
- Game rooms
- Special services such as a café, beauty salon
- Arts & Crafts room
Once you have narrowed it down, consider:
- Is the contract easy to follow?
- Did they answer all your questions and help you understand the contract?
- Is it within your budget?
- What utilities are included?
- What meals are served? Was the cafeteria to your standards?
- How often are the meals served?
- What level of care is provided at the facility?
- Can you bring your own furniture?
- Can residents come and go as they choose?
- Is it pet friendly?
- Is transportation provided?
- When are visitors allowed?
- Is their a worship service or transportation provided is you want to worship off campus?
- Are residents charged for parking?
- Are their storage spaces for residents?
- Did the residents look happy?
- What was your gut reaction when seeing the place and people there?
- Did it seem someplace you would like to be at?
Word of mouth referrals are very popular and trustworthy since most people talk about their experiences when it comes to their loved ones. As friends, neighbors and relatives if they have experiences with the facilities you are visiting. This checklist will help you to make an informed decision.